As every customer has different needs, at Overhead Door Company of The Meadowlands & NYC, we offer a wide selection of overhead doors for industrial and commercial settings. Some of the main factors that must be considered when purchasing an industrial overhead door are:
1. Functionality - Model, Size, Design, Operation and Environment
2. Safety & Security
1. Functionality of the Industrial Overhead Door:
✓ Model and Size
For the overhead doors, the model and size are the first criterias to be considered.
The architect has two options: to choose from an already existing door or to ask for a custom made door.
||Oversized overhead doors (40+ feet wide) are available, although these may become too heavy, slow and unwieldy for many applications.
Although Industrial Overhead Doors are usually not seen by the general public, it may be important in some specific applications that doors are aesthetically pleasing. Still, architects will want doors that well on the facility. Some of the characteristics that an architect must keep in mind are:
Fancy hardware is usually not used in industrial settings, however, some industrial settings have public functions or may be visible to the public. In those cases, the architect may want to make sure that the industrial doors that are selected work well with the building’s aesthetic.
||Desired Light Infiltration
Some facilities will require maximum visibility and call for clear-panel doors made of tempered glass, or other transparent materials.
Some other facilities may want complete privacy/security and use doors with no lites/windows at all.
When choosing the overhead door, it is important to keep in mind how often the industrial overhead door is going to be used as well as the speed that is needed in some specific cases.
- Some facilities open the door early in the morning and close it at night.
- Some facilities open and close the overhead door several times per day.
- Some facilities operate around the clock (24hrs).
- Some facilities will use the overhead door infrequently and will remain closed most of the time.
- Some facilities may need a high-speed door to make sure that it opens and closes rapidly for environmental or safety reasons.
Due to the environmental challenges, many industries may need a overhead door that has special characteristics such as:
Heavily insulated overhead doors are required when applications involve refrigeration, as well as facilities that have substantially different internal and external temperatures.
We offer insulated overhead doors that provide R-value up to 26. These are an ideal choice for:
• Agricultural buildings
• Food and beverage storage facilities
• Pharmaceutical facilities
• Climate controlled facilities
• Industrial manufacturing facilities
• Government facilities
• Shipping and receiving docks
||Weather and Wind
Some applications may call for high wind pressure doors and/or doors that are sealed tightly against water and air infiltration. To support their high performance, these types of doors require flexible weather seals and thermal breaks.
In order to attenuate sounds entering or leaving the applications, doors may require heavy insulation to diminish the sounds entering or leaving the application. It is most common in mixed-use developments. FireKing® Fire-Rated Door Model 635 is a rolling insulated fire door that offers the triple benefits of insulation, fire protection and sound attenuation.
2. Safety & Security
It is of utmost importance to create a safe working area for the workers. Most industrial applications strive for zero tolerance of unsafe conditions as well as aiming for the physical security in the work locations. In order to reach these goals, companies for both, safety and security, with extreme care. Some of the factors that are usually considered are:
Security meaning in this context is:
- Only personnel authorized can operate the overhead doors.
- Video monitoring is also required for a secured communication network so that the door at all times can be observed and controlled.
- Control of the vehicles entering or exiting (through a high-security protocol)
-Trigger floodlight and/or alarms.
- There must exist an automated record of all movements of all doors.
- There must be a central security control that locks down all doors.
- In order to prevent code stealing when the doors are locally managed with remote controls, the units should be equipped with rolling code technology, so every time the remote is operated, a new code will be used.Tightly controlled for remote openers must be used in high security situations.
- Pressure sensors, electric eyes and emergency-release mechanisms are items that all power operated doors should be equipped with as part of the safety equipment.
- It is recommended that once a month door safety should be tested so to be sure that closing doors automatically reverse when they hit obstacles.
-Trained personnel must regularly maintain and keep in good shape the doors.
3. Quality & Value - Invest in a High-Quality Overhead Door
One of the most common mistakes is to try to save money by using inferior quality doors as the door will be compromised in its lifetime, and it will require maintenance and repairs more frequently to keep it working.
Broken Sectional Overhead Door
To be sure that the door provides the thermal and sound diminish characteristics, managers must have a clear preventive maintenance plan.
If a door is for rough use, the best materials to be used are heavy gauge steel and aluminium, as they live for a long time and they can also be painted or powder coating. On the contrary, wood is usually avoided for industrial settings except for breweries or facilities that have a public component.
We highly recommend contacting us when renovating an industrial facility or designing one, as there is an enormous variety of choices and our experts will give you the best solution for your requirements.
If you need more information on choosing the industrial overhead door or loading dock equipment in general, please contact us, it will be our pleasure to serve you.
Service areas: Northern New Jersey (Bergen, Passaic, Hudson, Union, Essex, Morris, Hudson, Hunterdon, Middlesex, Mercer and Somerset county/counties), Manhattan, New York City, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, Bronx, Westchester, and Rockland.
What we do: We sell, install, repair and maintain commercial and industrial overhead doors, operators, and loading dock equipment since 1981.